SEND Teaching Assistant
We are now recruiting for a SEND Teaching Assistant to join the friendly SEND department of one of our partner secondary schools in the borough of Newham.
The school is located at the borough of Newham and is easily accessible by public transport.
Pupils have positive attitude to learning and are well behaved.
The staff at reception and at the SEND department are very welcoming and helpful.
This is an ongoing long-term SEND Teaching Assistant post to begin in September 2019.
The successful SEND Teaching Assistant’s main duties will be to assist in promoting the learning and personal development of the pupil to whom you are assigned, to enable him/her to make best use of the educational opportunities available to them.
As a SEND Teaching Assistant, you will need to aid the pupil to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and on his/her own by, for example:
- Clarifying and explaining instructions.
- Ensuring the pupil is able to use equipment and materials provided.
- Motivating and encouraging the pupil(s) as required by providing levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks as appropriate to pupils’ needs.
- Using praise, commentary and assistance to encourage the pupil to concentrate and stay on task.
- Providing additional nurture to individuals when requested by the class teacher or SENCO.
- Helping to make appropriate resources to support the pupil.
- To establish supportive relationships with the pupil concerned.
- To support the pupil in developing social skills both in and out of the Classroom.
- To provide regular feedback on the pupil’s learning and behaviour to the teacher/SENCO, including feedback on the effectiveness of the behaviour strategies adopted.
- To know and apply school policies on Child Protection, Health and Safety, Behaviour, Teaching and Learning, Equal Opportunities etc.
The successful SEND Teaching Assistant applicant will have…
- Previous experience of working as a SEND teaching assistant
- Confidence in working with learners with varying needs, for example ADMD, Asperger’s Syndrome, Autistic Spectrum, EBD, Down Syndrome and Learning Difficulties.
- A patient and nurturing persona.
- The ability to build good rapport with the pupil.
- A current DBS that is registered with the online update service will also be required. For anyone who does not, a new disclosure will be required.
If you wish to be considered for this SEND Teaching Assistant role, please send an up to date CV and covering letter to Michael as soon as possible.
Your job consultant for this role is:
020 8090 2033